While Freckle's ELA articles have always been scaled to each student's individual level, Freckle Text Levels are a new and improved way for teachers to see the reading level of a piece of text in Freckle, such as an ELA article.
Previously, Freckle's reading levels were a number with a decimal, such as 3.9 or 7.1.
The new Freckle Text Level contains a number and a letter. The number is an approximate correlation to a grade level band. The letter tells you if the text belongs to the low, middle, or high part of that grade level band.
For example, a Freckle text leveled at 3B is appropriate for a student who is reading at a “middle of 3rd grade” level.
You can preview each level of each article in your teacher dashboard before assigning it.
Of course, no text leveling system can fully account for every consideration that each individual student brings to the act of reading. We encourage teachers to use their own professional judgment to evaluate what is best for each of their students!
How are Freckle Text Levels determined?
When deciding the appropriate Freckle Text Level, the Freckle team looks at many aspects of a text.
First, we look at the quantitative measures of the text. For example:
- Total word count
- Sentence length and complexity
- Vocabulary words and syllables per word
Then, we look at qualitative measures of the text. What additional demands does the text place on readers? For example:
- How much background knowledge do students need to access the text?
- Is the subject matter mature or thematically complex?
- How is the text organized and scaffolded?
- Is the text language conventional and clear?
How can I use Freckle Text Levels in my classroom?
As many teachers know, there is often a wide range of reading levels represented in one classroom. Here's how you can use Freckle Text Levels to reach every student:
- Enter your students’ reading level data in your Freckle teacher dashboard, and let Freckle automatically determine the best level for your students. You can check out our text correlation chart to learn how Freckle Text Levels relate to other reading level systems.
- Alternatively, you can use our pretest to determine a starting point for your students. Freckle will calculate the students' Freckle Text Levels and then adapt as students practice.
When students practice reading in Freckle, they'll automatically get a version of the article that most closely matches their own Freckle Text Level. Want all of your students to read about the same topic? Assign the whole class an ELA Article, and each student will read the article at their own adaptive Freckle Text Level.