Here’s how to assign targeted practice assignments:
1) Determine which standard you will be teaching and plan a lesson.
As with all math lessons, you first need to determine which standard and skill you will be teaching your students. Whether you base this information off unit plans or pacing guides, be certain that your lesson is based on a particular skill and standard.
2) Teach your students that skill in a whole group format.
Before your students log in to Freckle for a targeted practice assignment, teach the lesson you had planned. This way students will have some background information around the topic, reducing frustration and improving performance. If you are using targeted practice as a diagnostic assessment, then you can skip this step and have students show what they know about the topic without instruction.
3) Send assignments to students.
Login to Freckle and select "Assignments" on your Teacher Dashboard.
4) Click the blue "+Add An Assignment" button.
5) Click the "Targeted Practice Assignment" box to assign a particular standard to your students.
6) Use the dropdown menu to pick the class and students you want to assign.
7) Choose the standard that you want to assign
Note that all standards for all grades within the domain are listed. You can select "See Example K.CC.1 Questions" to see some sample questions.
8) (Optional) Choose a specific skill within the standard.
9) Choose the number of questions you want to assign.
10) Check the summary for your assignment and click "Assign"
You will now see your targeted practice assignment listed on the Assign Math page. You can see the standard you assigned, the short name for the standard, the date you assigned it, as well as students' progress on the assignment.
11) Have students log in to Freckle.
Students will log in to Freckle just the same way that they always have - with their first name, last name and class code.
12) Have students head to Assignments.
13) Students will see their assignments waiting for them.
Multiple assignments may be listed. Have students click the assignment to begin.
14) Students will have ONE opportunity to complete the assignment.
Once students have finished the assignment, the targeted practice assignment will end and they will return to adaptive practice within the domain in which they were working.
14) Check class progress on the assignment.
To check class progress on the targeted practice assignment you just sent to your students, click on the arrow icon next to the assignment.
You will see a list of students who have not yet completed the assignment, as well as a list of students who have already completed the assignment. This makes it easy to track the completion of the assignment!
Once an assignment is completely finished, meaning all students have completed it, it will be moved from the list of assignments and will be filed under the Completed Assignments tab at the top of the page.